samedi 9 février 2008

Blueberries alors!

I went to the grocery store one morning and saw mountains and mountains of blue-itiful berries. Normally I never buy those (or raspberry or blackberry.. u get the picture :D) because of their high prices. I was lucky that morning *gasp* for there they were, stacks and stacks of blue round berries for 0.99$ ! Now I know they do that every 4 months or so but they looked yummy and I picked up a pint.

Now to know what to do with them! I googled blueberries muffins (I felt like having one) and one recipe caught my eye... 'To die for blueberry muffins' by Colleen from allrecipes.com. I thought it sounded delicious, I mean if they were to die for, they should be!
To die for blueberry muffins
400 F for 20-25 min
yields 8 large muffins

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 cup fresh
blueberries

Topping
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup
all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon


I mixed the batter by hand with a wooden spoon, I heard it was better for muffins. Remember also to FOLD in the blueberries xD If you use an electric mixer and add the blueberries, you will end up with a blue batter instead of plump-berries-in-batter. The topping goes on top before they go into the oven

Crumbly goodness!

The recipe said it was for 8 large muffins. I doubled it and fitted it in a 12 muffin pan. They ended up extra large! *glee*

To die for with a little butter!

After all this, I still had blueberries left!
So I made ... scones! with lemon!

Lemon blueberry scones
375 F 15-20 min
Yields about a dozen

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar (I used golden meh)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 tbsp + 1 tsp lemon zest
1 large egg
3/4 cup half and half cream (I used 1 cup milk less 2 tbsp +11/2 tbsp melted butter)

Topping
1 tbsp milk
2 tbsp granulated sugar

zesting the lemon, I have no zester ;(

Folding in the blueberries and the zest

Brushing the scones with the milk

Sprinkling with sugar and the leftover zest

Ooo Golden blueberry goodness!

I do love me butter

I should of used a real cutter for the scones. Instead they look like blobs.. they were still delicious! :D

2 commentaires:

Deborah a dit...

That's dedication - zesting a lemon without a zester! These look delicious!

Lai-May - Aspiring Home-Chef a dit...

Yes it is! I am considering buying a zester tho...